Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"UNCLE"

I'm very tired and craving a bagel and cream cheese. I wanted to update my chemotherapy changes.
After 4 treatments on 5-FU and oxaliplatin - I'm bidding it farewell...praying it has done it''s work and will continue to do it's work. Dr. Clark told me to return to his office this week with one word - describing how I felt after this treatment. I did. "Uncle". This last treatment was horrendous. Hot flashes, cold flashes, nausea, nausea, fatigue, neuropathy to the point that gloves no longer provide protection from anything - cold or medium or hot. Then there was nausea, fatigue, nausea, nausea, fevers, nausea and fevers. I do not believe the impact of this particular therapy has come full circle...yet. I had done all of the research I could do. I knew, intellectually, what was coming. Intellectual knowledge is good. I believe in it. It could be said it would be like telling you, I know about China. I have a little (very little) knowledge about China. However, if I was set loose in the country of China, you would find me curled up into a fetal position, sobbing for my mother. I would then say, I read about China, I never knew it was like THIS. The language barrier would overwhelm me right off the bat. Same thing with oxaliplatin and Modified Folfox 6. I was not yet to the point of begging for my mother, but I was crying "uncle"....and this uncle has no name other than "enough".
Next Tuesday, God willing, I will begin taking 5-FU and Leucovorin. I will take at least 2 rounds; 6 weeks on; 2 weeks off. Depending on how things look, there may be a round 3. I've been forewarned. Since I have had 4 treatments with these MAJOR (yes, they are ALL major) drugs, I will be closely monitored. Yes,I know you want to know what I wanted to know: side effects. Mouth sores (I do the treatments for this already), diarreha (spell this, ok?) and low blood counts. I'm already experiencing this. If you come to visit, you will find me masked and gloved. There are others - and if there are others, I am pretty sure I will experience them. A friend said, whatever is on the list - expect it. I do and will remain very pleased if some pass me by. I've read enough cancer memoirs, I know how very, very bad these treatments can get - to the point of death. I am not there - not by a long stretch.
So, with a calendar in hand that means therapy will be complete on either: August 10 or October 5 - depending.
The big question: how long will the cold/hot flashes last? It will be slow to leave my system. I hope since it's going to be slow....it will kill a lot of cancer cells while it's departing my body. A LOT of cancer cells. If I must have cold/hot flashes and neuropathy, it should remain at it's post - smashing those nasty bad cells to pieces.
I have a new visual that some of you can relate to. I am not too much on visualization, but this one was part of my childhood, so it was easy. Remember when you or your someone in your family got a new toy gun and it came with a roll of caps? We got tired of trying to get them to fire in the gun, so we would take them out of the gun (or box) and lay them on the driveway....grab a small hammer and "bang, bang, bang" those caps until they were totally demolished. That's my visual in this battle. Cancer cells are caps and God along with these drugs are the hammer. Works for me.
I love your comments - either on the blog or via email or phone. I am not alone. God is right here, all of the time, hot flashes, cold flashes, nausea and funny moments, either here or at doctor's offices. There is a great deal of love floating around out there. Do you even know your impact - covering people with prayer; bathing them in cards and caring; that is mercy. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. I could list a list of people a mile - 40 miles long or longer who have shown not only me and our family, mercy, but to everyone they come in contact with.
As for me and for our house, you bless and restore us daily.
As always, any questions, comments...anything you'd like to say or mention is welcome. I still hope this is a small way of helping one another along the way.
And a special mention for my vacuum angel: you just rock. Thank you, Peggy.
My brother is back in the hospital for some medication adjustments. Praying this will relieve the ongoing Afib situation.
My niece mentioned her little 6 yr old friend, Cameron. He has leukemia and has yet another treatment coming up. As a mom with a chronically ill daughter, my heart just goes out to his parents. Life is not for the lilly-livered, that is certain. God bless and keep us.
love to all, kathryn

7 comments:

Pat Fuller said...

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts, Kathryn. Please know that we are thinking of you as you face this battle. God is good and He is big and we pray that you feel His presence throughout it all.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing with us Kathryn. This blog was a good idea. So much better than a facebook or just email. I makes it much easier on you I am sure. I continue to pray for you. I will be thinking of that hammer hitting those caps. If the Parker clan was like the Morton clan when your dad came home from work the hammer was still laying in the middle of the driveway. Stay as strong as you can. You are doing better than I would. I am a weenie. Hope Sept. comes quickly for you. Mike

Anonymous said...

Kathryn,

How do I come to your blog to find out what your needs are, and leave feeling like you've met my needs? Your words and analogies are amazing. Yes, I like the cap gun analogy. I will visualize that in all my prayers for you, and others fighting this, from now on. So sorry this last round has SOOOOOOOO hard, I am proud of you for saying uncle and Dr. Clark hearing that. He is so good at wanting to know what the patient wants, not just what they might need. He is a wise man. I am praying the days pass quickly during this new treatment, and you can feel so normal again. God continue to bless you so much! Love to Jim and Molly too!
Marilyn

joyce said...

Your cap gun analogy! Great!!!!! I get it, I too did it as a child, and will definitely use it as I pray for you. Our God is an awesome God and I know that you know that better than most.
You were in that Corvette with me as I was breezing down the highway! My prayers are with you wherever I roam :) Love you lots....and love that vacuum angel that came to you! How sweet to be served by the hands the serve the Savior.

Kay said...

Kathryn.. so glad you got to spend time with Chuck and his family. and so very sorry you are having to go thru all this chemo stuff. It's hard for you and hard for you family to watch you endure. thanks for sharing.
Love you bunches,
Kay

kerriejo1961 said...

After we were shot in 1992, one of Mom's friends came a couple times to vacuum - what sweet friends who take that on!! This friend even did a family foot washing with communion one night. It was very special. I didn't get the full meaning of it then, but still it was so healing and helpful as our hearts and emotions were more torn than our bodies at that point. As strange as it sounds to our modern ears, it really was a refreshing blessing. I wish you many friends, brothers and sisters there nearby to nourish and refresh your soul as you fight this physical battle.

I think of you often, pray for you often and love you always, sweet cousin.

Kerrie

Anonymous said...

Dear Kathryn,
Thanks! “As I travel through this pilgrim land there is a friend who walks with me …” I have immensely enjoyed sharing your “pilgrim” journey through your past and present walk. The words of this song just popped into my head after reading your last few blog entries. It is truly a pilgrim’s walk each day … what we’ll experience, who’ll we’ll meet … who we’ll touch and who will touch us. I am thankful that God asks us to have faith and withholds knowledge. Knowledge is so final … mystery provides the passion to believe. The faith and the hope of our Pilgrim’s walk allows us I think to break gravity’s hold so that we can lift a foot and move forward. I thank my God each day for you and ask that your Pilgrim walk be easier today than yesterday and if the Lord wills that Joanne and I will get to see you, Jim and Molly soon. Thank you for being our friend for so many years and for sharing so boldly your Pilgrim’s journey through chemo. We are blessed by your strength and lifted up by your humor and wit. “… keeps me safely through the sinking sand it is the Christ of Calvary!”
- Love, Matthew