Saturday, May 29, 2010

Speeding Toward the Finish of The Wedding Story!

Jim has been asking me to finish up our story. There have been a lot of miles and other stories since I stopped.
We did pack up and leave and yes, we did stop at the library and drop off books. We headed toward Virginia Beach. The first night, we made it as far as Fort Smith (though Jim kept saying =we must make time'...who was going to drive, we were exhausted. This getting married in 11 hours took it's toll...what with wedding ring exchanges, dealing with weeping parents and a mother in law who couldn't accept the reality of what had taken place!
This trip was one for the books. We had no money - cheapest place to eat in those days, was the Waffle House - "Good Mornin'", seems it was the same truck drivers and most assuredly the same waitress across the entire country. Time has robbed most of the conversations but nothing erases the beauty of Tennessee and North Carolina in the spring time. I had not ever been to those places before. I was very impressed.
We arrived very late into Virginia Beach. There was either a tropical storm or the tail end of a hurricane. Violent winds and rain as heavy as I've ever experienced. The promise of staying in a beautiful hotel "right on the beach" was soon dashed. There was a convention in town and back in those days, the night hotels filled up quickly. As we drove down (and I do mean DOWN) VA Beach Blvd, the hotel quality deteriorated quickly. We finally made it to The Buckaneer, obviously a hotel for "those on the run". We grabbed out bags and I took my first step into the room -- I sank up to my ankles in water and green shag carpet. Quickly, I decided I could jump from vinyl chair to the bed, the swing on the door frame into the bathroom...fortunately, the water had not reached that area. Standing on a bed in a hotel is like nothing else. Brushing your teeth, washing your face...all from the middle of the bed. Apologies etc....it was the only way we would begin our time together. Life would always be different and never dull.
The next morning, Jim got up to go pick up his things he had stored at "the fiance's house". Unknown to me - VA Beach/Norfolk sprawls out - it's a large city. I had not money, no credit card, nothing. I did have a lot of water under the bed. After he was gone for about an hour, I decided 'the fiance' must have looked pretty good to him after all and he had changed his mind. I was sitting on the bed, crying (that would be sobbing...one reason, I had no money and second "how would I walk out of VA Beach?), when he walked in and asked what was wrong. I gave my explanation and he shook his head. Welcome to the world of Jim and Kathryn. Those were some insecure years and those who knew my recent past, I believe understood that. We loaded up, thankfully leaving the soggy room behind and headed to the ship to get his orders to go to Washington DC. You may ask me about our purchase of a gross of items....hilarious.
Now back to Oklahoma to pick up my household goods. And to have a reception. The reception of the century. My sister in law (the one who decided Jim could and should have married anyone but me!) hosted. A friend of my mom's made me a beautiful cream colored dress. We walked in and immediately realized we must have walked into a post funeral dinner. Not a smile one. Grim, set jaws, sad faces....save for my Grandmother Parker. She was thrilled. Smiles all around. I kept overhearing her saying, "oh, she married a Navy man, they are clean you know". So how bad could it be, I married a clean man! After attending the funeral dinner, we left. Spent one more night in Broken Arrow and headed out early the next day for Washington DC.
Aneta Neil helped us find an apartment. We are glad we are still here. We were riding down a very busy Route 50 when she asked how long we had been married. We said 10 days. She turned completely around and looked at Jim, exclaiming over and over (one foot on the brake, one on the accelerator) "Well, I cannot believe that, you all act like you've been married for much, much longer." We were certainly praying that would be the case.
She took us to the apt we would rent. The rule of the land in No. VA, we had to wait 3 wks for a background check. 3 weeks - no money. Yipes. Aneta stepped in, she said, I know these people (we met that morning), he is the Navy, they pay their bills on time and they will be attending "that church" (she pointed to a roof top about l/2 block from out apt). Mrs. Jennings, tough as a boot, decided she would wave the 3 weeks and we could move in that afternoon. God's fingerprint started appearing everywhere.
That afternoon, a lady who lived on the 6th floor, knocked on our door. Just an introduction - they went to church at Falls Church (that rooftop I mentioned). They would be back from dinner if we needed anything. In less than 5 min, someone was at the door. It was Mack (yes, she was the women), she stuck a church directory photograph from 1964 into Jim...."Is that you and your family?" It was. Mack and Gil had crossed paths in Overland Park Kansas many years before and SHE REMEMBERED.
Speed forward a few weeks later. We were at Mack and Gil's and they mentioned their trip to Kansas. I said I was from Kansas and asked where they went. He listed a few place and ended a town I knew. My grandmother lives in a nursing home there. I said I wish I had known, I would have had you say hi to her. Gil asked, "who is your grandmother?" I told him, Jennie Bullington. He just broken up laughing, and laughing and I thought, it's not THAT funny. It was that funny. His mother and my grandmother shared a room in the same nursing home. They knew Jenny Bullington very well.
I tell all of that as the next 3 years were filled with experiences likes that. God was showing us many things. We were determinded to turn our lives around and when God knows this, he works overtime to make sure you see Him. His providence, his care, his people, his protection. We still look back in amazement at how gracious he was to us and still is. Sometimes we get lost in our lives and forget to recognize how God provides in the most unexpected and seemingly ridiculous ways. I love that. Sometimes he has to hit me with a 2x4 (I'm stubborn) and other times, it's so blatantly obvious, I weep. He loves me. He loves us.
Thanks for putting up with "the story". It continues to this day. Life is never dull. When I have what I call a "boring" day; I savor it.
He truly numbers and knows every part of my days. How do say to the Creator of the world, thank you? I think that's what you say. I'm blessed and so grateful....even when I don't understand, He's in it.
Blessings on your day!!!
love you kathryn

2 comments:

Cindy said...

You MUST write a book or compile what you have written. What a heartwarming encouraging story you have to tell. Keeping you in our prayers!

Anonymous said...

Wish I could write that well. Great job telling your story. Some things I had heard before but many I had not. I am glad I got to be a small part of your life. I am certainly glad you are a part of mine. Praying for you my girlfriend. Mike