Friday, July 16, 2010

Refiner's Fire

It's Friday and still no answers. I don't wait well. Scripture is full of passages on waiting. Henri Nouwen wrote about waiting. It is full of activity, it is full of energy and power. I must hang on to that. I do not feel I am "soaring with the eagles". I feel quite desperate. There just aren't quick and sound answers to what is going on with my body. It's very hard to keep my mind focused on the fact that during this quiet time, there are people working and thinking over this situation. Being a mystery sounds exciting sometimes. And it is. However, when it's your health, sometimes, being outside the box, is not all it's cracked up to be.
I read in Streams in the Desert about the stones on Pebble Beach. They are continually pounded by the elements, harsh storms create these beautiful stones...yet less than a mile away, there is an inlet. The same rock that people come from around the world to see and take home, is readily available. Yet no one takes those rocks. They have not been hammered and tossed about, so they have no remarkable beauty. Anything in life that is of value to us has been through the elements - the beauty, the mystery lies after we have been polished by strong storms or have been through an intense heat. Dain, my son, works with wood. Before he saws and hammers and sands, it's simply a piece of wood; when he is finished, it becomes whatever he needed to create - a shower, a cabinet, etc. Without harsh blows and saws, files, sanding, it would be nothing but an ordinary piece of wood.
God loves his creation; he provides, he even sends us through the elements to refine us, increase our need for him as well as our love I am learning to trust his will in my/our lives. It is hard work...this refining fire.
I go back to the Psalms daily...but this one verse just keeps standing out to me...
"Be Still and Know That I Am God."
Refine me, God, as I go through this particular fire.
Down a bit today...never out...never. I'm in the fight. We will win!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

see ya' in the morning sometime