Friday, July 30, 2010

Back in the Saddle Again

I have had 5 good days...very good days. I feel like myself again. I've even gained a couple of pounds.
I met with Dr. Clark today. I start oral chemo tomorrow morning. Though this drug (Xeloda) is very similar in nature to 5-FU, the compounding and delivery system should make for less side effects. I am going to be very closely monitored...I have weekly appts and weekly bloodwork -- and was told ANY symptoms must be reported immediately. After the experience I had this past summer, I will hit speed dial. If there are no problems with this drug, I will be on it for the next 3 months. That's the plan and 3 months is the goal.
The clouds are moving in - maybe we'll get a little shower out of it.
Molly's dog, Scout, is bunking with us this weekend. She and Coco are curled up together for their afternoon nap. Scout will soon make this her new address. I'm joining the ranks of the many who's kids have a dog but are living in a place they cannot go.
Corrie ten Boom had a way with words. Though I have never I lived through the hellish conditions she and millions of others did, Corrie taught us a lot about living through intense pain and suffering. She saw past the darkness and relied on God. The story of her faith lives on.
"When the train goes through a tunnel and the world becomes dark, do you jump out? Of course not. You sit still and trust the engineer to get you through."
I have a chief engineer and on this side of heaven, a great engineer in Dr. Clark.
Now back to tossing out the things Scout brings in from the back yard. Her favorite thing to chew on - wood chips - in the den.
Have a great weekend. Thank you for all of your prayers.
Aunt Irene is in the last days of her life here. Praying for comfort and God's peace.
love kathryn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK! I like the plan. I love your attitude! I know God is in control. I pray the oral therapy will be less taxing on you, in every way. Praying for no side effects and great success for you. Praying for your Aunt Irene's family too. Your family has been through so much this year. Glad to start my day knowing this news. Have a great weekend! Love you! Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the news about the latest treatment options and especially for sharing your story and inspiring attitude. That coupled with a few thoughts from Max Lucado's book "Safe in the Shepherd's Arms" will help make today a good one. Will be in prayer for you and the family and the dog! Take care!
David