Sunday, July 4, 2010

I didnt' realize when I put that quote in my last posting, I would be called upon to live it out - to get to the other side. I have a way to go yet, but I will make the best of it.
Three weeks ago, I was dragging to just get out of bed. By Thursday, I couldn't get out of bed. Friday, I went to see my acupuncturist but felt worse after leaving. By Saturday, late afternoon, I some pain in my abdomen. It wasn't constant but it was one of the things on 'the list'. Call the doctor. He then told me to go to the E.R. I don't remember much about the first week in the hospital other than I was very sick. Many tests were being run. A lot of people were praying and sitting with Jim and my mom.
First we learned I had an ischemic colon...meaning, the piece that was reattached, never found a new blood supply; that part of my colon suffered a stroke and quit working. I was told I had an "angry colon". After a few days on antibiotics (for an infection in the small bowel), my colon was not as swollen and is looking for that blood supply. ah ha! that is the reason for all of my bowel problems.
We learned that the root of all of the problems are related to chemo. It "cooked me". They discovered, I cannot take anymore chemo. My body has two enzymes that created this problem.
I don't have any further information. I had a great many questions for my oncologist in the hospital. His answer was always the same (he is very consistent!) "after you get well, we will talk." I see him on July 13, so hopefully will have answers for all of our questions.
I did find out, this is not common and there are not studies for people like me. Since the beginning of this journey, I've heard "you don't follow the norm"; "you are the exception" many, many times..as much as I would like to follow the norm in all of this. As my dear friend, Matt said, "you are an alien." I am.
Usually the doctors assess the increase or decrease of cancer according to the CEA levels in the blood. In my case, my CEA levels have never suggested I had cancer. They are normal and remain so. The only way they can know if this chemo did it's work or not is from very specific blood work. So we are praying that it did what it was supposed to do and that nothing shows up in my vascular system. The worrisome part - if it comes back. Treatment options would be extremely limited.
So we pray and my job is to get well. I've lost 24 pounds. I have a lot of eating to do and I'm not quite up to speed yet. I'm weak and fatigue hangs on. I'm looking forward to being able to wear my clothes again. Hard to keep my pants up!
My mom has been here for the entire time. She's sat many an hour in the hospital. Thank you mom for being here for me. Jim was the wonder man, keeping up with his work, running Mom back and forth and visting me every day. Remember him in your prayers. Caregiving/taking is very tiring.
Mom will return home on Tuesday and Lisa, our friend from Tucson, will stay next week. I am expecting a big turn around this week, but take it one day at a time.
Your thoughts, cards, prayers, support, visits, encouragement has been overwhelming. Jesus' light was all around me due to you....each one of you.
A very Happy 4th of July and a great many thanks for all who serve or have served this great country of ours.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Get Well Jeff!
love, kathryn

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glenda, our baby, brought me some suspenders from Switzerland - Need them.

You are not the norm - you are a child of God.

Anonymous said...

Glenda, our baby, brought me some suspenders from Switzerland - Need them.

You are not the norm - you are a child of God.

Thu said...

From one "freak of nature" to another, I'm not surprise that you are the exception to the rule. You don't want to run with the pack; you are a trail blazer. Glad that you are home. Maybe I'll get to see you before we leave for Haiti. After I come back from Haiti, I don't want to visit for a couple of weeks to make sure I didn't bring anything weird back that can transfer to you. Love you and Jim lots.

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home and able to eat a little to build up your strength. You seem to be a puzzle for your doctors to work on but, you know, doctors like challenges and it brings out the best in them. At lest they seem to be on the right track. I'll keep you and Jim and Cheryl and all the family in my prayers as is the church here in Newton. Love you KAT, Glenda T.

Anonymous said...

Such a blessing that your mom could be here -- of course she'd be no place else! -- and that Lisa is able to come this week. What loving, caring hands -- the hands of Jesus as your mother and as your friend. I'm missing you, and look forward to spending time with you when we return to Albuquerque. I'll be getting that tea ready for our tea party. I love you and Jim and Molly!