Sunday, April 18, 2010

Third Treatment Report

We can never see the sunrise by looking toward the west. Japanese Proverb


Cumulative. No one is kidding. I never thought they were. Fevers, fatigue, nausea -- all part of this little chemo world. However! during the good moments, I've managed to plant some flower seeds in my garden bed, just outside the den. I love zinnias. We have a west exposure and zinnias love the heat. I hope they will grow as "tall as an elephant's eye" this year so I can enjoy them as I am in the den. My time will be rather limited to mornings in the backyard. I have to be very careful in the sun; I'm hypersensitive to sunlight with these particular drugs.
I believe I am going to just have to insist on a prescription to "summer over on the coast of Maine". I know just the house on the hill - just across the street from the Atlanta Ocean. Just the right amount of morning fog to make it all mysterious and interesting and just enough sun to make the flowers grow. I once met a lady in an antique shop on "the coast of Maine". She had just finished chemotherapy. Her hair was shaved close. When she turned around, she had Team USA shaved into her hair, dyed in red, white and blue. It was the year of the Olympics. I loved her spirit - not only for the Olympics, but for LIFE.
Just wanted to let you know I'm still in the fight. I'm no Pollyanna here. Statistics do not relate to each person individually. I am not a statistic; I am a person. Three treatments down, nine to go. I feel I'm doing very well. I know things could be much worse. I am grateful to God they are not.
I have a new but good friend who is going in for neck surgery tomorrow morning, 7am. Her name is Donna. She has been very supportive and loving not only to me, but also to my family. Please pray for her surgeons. This is delicate surgery. Wonder of wonders, she will come home on Tuesday. She's great fun and came over to my house for pajama day - leopard pajamas, robe and house shoes! That is support...and we are blessed to find support from our dearest friends and family. We thank you. And now, it's time to hit the sheets.
Love to all, kathryn

6 comments:

Ray said...

Kathyrn, we are keeping you in jour prayers. - Ray and Mary Nell Hawk

kathryn said...

Ray & Mary Nell,
Just touches my heart to see your names here..thank you.
kathryn

Anonymous said...

You all know I wish, at my 82 years of age, it was me having to struggle with this. O' how thankful I am tho' that I have a daughter that has the skills and the right attitude to keep on keeping on. Thanks, thanks, thanks to you all for your many prayers and good will for her. Cheryl, her Mother.

kathryn said...

thanks mom...wouldn't wish this on you or anyone. Happy Remembrance Day on Your Anniversary Day...thinking of you! love kathryn

Zane said...

Way to go Kathryn! It's good to see that you're stronger than the chemo side effects. We're all praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I think of you everyday eventhough I don't get around to writing every day. You know I love the sun and I have been out enjoying it. Golf on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I am praying for your strength to fight this battle. You have been so good to me. I want the best for you. Mike