Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A Chemo Buddy

A beautiful morning. Bags, computers, water, quilt...check, check, check. I checked in and found a seat. Then we met Marty. Marty learned to speak English in 1968, Salt Lake City. He cannot read a word of English but speaks pretty well. I can say numbers in Spanish - to 10. As it turned out, we sat next to one another during our treatment. We heard a lot of stories and about his work as a fork lift driver...for 36 years. When he became ill, he lost his job. I hear this more and more. I thought there were laws to protect jobs when people become very ill. As he left, he came and shook my hand and spoke to me in Spanish. I knew the word "mucho". I said I will have to ask you to translate. No, I learned English, you will have to learn this in Spanish. So next time - I will have to write it or find an interpreter : )
Backing up a bit....I walked into the infusion center and was met with "Molly's MOM!" A woman came out of her seat and came to hug me. I recognized the face, but it was in the wrong place. She is a librarian at the library we frequent. She has worked with Molly for many years. She was diagnosed with breast cancer 9 years ago. Just last week, she was informed it has returned. She is now on chemotherapy for 6 months. She is still in shock. She needs our prayers. Her name is Simone. To go nine years without a problem and then a "smack down" - it's returned, is very hard. As she said, now I know what is coming...the first time around I didn't. I would agree with her. We can all deal with something bad one time....but the second time around...we're not quite so agreeable. She's always been so good to Molly; loves dogs (including her love of dachsies).
As for me. Another good blood report. The numbers are down just a bit, but still very, very good. Thank you God. Thank you for praying. Thank you...thank you. The "cold chemical" hits me with both barrels (wait until I get a Winchester....ya' scared yet?) Hands and fingers - "pins and needles". I went in to use some hair spray (you know I have flat hair and there are these devil winds in ABQ). I picked up the can & ONE spurt...blast!! INSTANT freezing hand and fingers. If you were ever so dumb (who me??) and just HAD to touch the dry ice the teacher brought in for "show & tell" at school one day...just one tiny touch... that is exactly how this feels. Exactly. Fair warning. No dry ice touching. My jaw pain, the SO over the top TMJ like pain is also neuropathy. Though it is considered a more rare side effect, Dr. Clark said, I'm sorry, looks like you have it. Some pain meds should help ease this pain. I do so like eating.
I have a new suit, a new scarf and a new winter hat for Easter Sunday. I will be there with my daughter, husband and friends. Corn bags, foot warmers, hand sized corn bags. I will - doing the Diane Keaton look. Hat, suit, scarf, GLOVES and coat. What she doesn't seem to have is a corn bag - I will have 2 for my hands and one to sit on. And if necessary, a quilt. I too can be Sam I AM. I will be at worship, Sam I Am.
Your mail is the best shot in the arm. A friend wrote about being in the boxing ring today for "Round 2". Sonny Liston, Mohammed Ali and Sugar Ray Leonard. This is no "rope a dope"....this battle belongs to the Lord...and he has the Biggest boxing gloves.
"I know where I am going." --charlotte chandler quote from "Katharine Hepburn"
Phil 4:113
Love and many thanks! kathryn

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, so thankful to hear about your blood work -- that's good! 2 treatments down -- that's good! New friends and old friends are chemo buddies -- that's good! (in a convoluted way) You never fail to make me smile -- that is a gift you have. Thank you for that. Love and prayers, Peggy

kruncher said...

Kathryn,
What an inspiration you are to all
of us. Your positive attitude & your love for our savior are
characteristics that we all need
to aspire to. God has given you
many gifts and one of them is
writing. What a storyteller you are. Love, Linda K.

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, such a great lady you are - didn't mean to sound like Yoda! Please know that we're praying for you, Jim, and Molly and that you're on the prayer list of our little congregation in RI. Wish I had gotten to know you better when you guys were in Newport. You make me smile through the tears. Thanks for your blog and your spirit.
Love to all, Bob B.

Anonymous said...

Kathryn,
I love that you have a new suit, scarf and hat! I wish I was at Montgomery to hug you! All my best to you and warm thoughts abound! PS I was one of those that had to touch the dry ice too!
Susie

Anonymous said...

Susie, so glad to learn you were "one of those kids" who had to touch the dry ice. Should we talk about school paste?!
love kathryn