Saturday, March 20, 2010

Could I have had a V-8 instead?

White fluffy snowflakes were drifting from the sky this morning. I believe that is the end of the snow for today. Spring arrives in it's own good time.

Several have asked me about my drugs. V-8, it is not. I take two standard colon cancer drugs, Fluorouracil (aka as 5-fluorouracil or 5-FU or Folfox). I take 5-FU modified 6. The next drug is Leucovorin, a "chemoprotectant"; a chemo enhancement drug. And last, but certainly not least, Eloxatin aka: Oxaliplatin. The drug that reminds me hourly, this is war. It is the drug that creates problems with anything cold. And today will be a good day for me to stay indoors.

I had a doctor's appointment yesterday. I felt I was moving in slow motion. I was at my appointment longer than I had anticipated. A stop at Costco would be an outing (no limo Bill)for the day. I never realized how cold Costco is nor did I remember the store feeling quite so large. We picked up a couple of item and I was suddenly famished. A hamburger. Another cold place. I ate 3 bites and got a to go box.
Shuffled into the house, into sweats and bed. Coco was thrilled - a full afternoon and evening of napping.

Jim picked up a new anti nausea medication yesterday. A good night's rest and I'm feeling much better today. Coco is getting in her morning nap and I'm waiting on a cup of coffee.

If you care to read about these drugs, go to chemocare.com - look up drug list. Not only does it explain the side effects, put the purpose of the drug and how it works, in English.

Your notes make me tear up...they are heartwarming and make me SMILE : ) Perhaps one of these days I'll learn some tricks to this blogging thing. For now, this is sufficient. Whatever the weather is in your location; have a great day!
love kathryn

4 comments:

Bill Estes said...

Sometimes learning can be painful and require you to do things multiple times before you get it right. My mother only gave email 1 chance and when it lost her 1st email, which was a magnum opus, she quit. My first comment just got lost, but I am giving it one more shot after setting up my Google account. I love your blog site because we get a closer look at you, which is a beautiful thing! Thanks for sharing (SIC and all...) I will keep praying because I believe God has a magnificent plan for you and he does want to hear from us; desperately wants to hear from us. Keep it going and find your warm spot on the couch. Love, Bill Estes

kerriejo1961 said...

Kathryn, I'm so glad you are able to do this. There is something in the talking it out that is healing for those of us who thrive on communicating!! The others have said it, but you just can't hear it enough how you are loved and how we are all praying for you.
I am sorry you are so cold - I hate to be cold, but it's something I so rarely experience! I wish you warmth and comfort, and I'll be praying that, too!! Love you, Cousin, Kerrie Jo

Anonymous said...

We had 54 degrees Friday morning at 9:30here in Kansas, and this morning we have about 3 or 4 inches of snow, on the ground and it is still snowing and blowing. Not too cold for Ella, but too cold for me. She wants to stay out and play, but I had other ideas. LOL The birds are certainly busy emptying the feeder. Kathryn appreciate your blog and one of these days I'll figure out how to sign up. Praying God's healing arms surround you with warmth and love.

cousin Linda

Dan said...

Kathryn, just got into your blogspot. I will look forward to your posts. We do continue our prayers. But mostly we know the relationship with the Father is a non-stop conversation, giving us the sense he is inside us along with the disease, the pain, the cold.
Blessings,
Dan