Friday, March 26, 2010

Heroes Are Cool!

My dad (our dad) was a Railway Mail Clerk. For many of you, the only way you would know about this line of work is to go to the Smithsonian in Washington DC and visit a "Railway Mail Car". Every week, men left their families to ride on trains across this country, sorting and delivering mail to every city, town and village across this country. My dad loved his work. However, I don't believe he 'loved' leaving his family each week.
My dad was 6'3" tall. To me and my sister, Teresa, he was a giant. We would grab him around his legs and step onto his feet and ask him to walk us around the house; without fail, he would take us for a walk. I think back to those days...he probably worked all night on the train; arriving home in the late morning. He never said, No, I'm too tired. He would just walk and sometimes, reach into his "grip" (a little metal bag he carried) and hand us a peanut pattie or other candy bar --- which had come 'all the way from Amarillo, Texas.'
My dad had his first heart attack when he was 49 and by-pass surgery. It was the mid 70s and that surgery was relatively new. Though his life was changed, he went to work, loved his wife (my mom) and his family. He loved to fish and shared his love of fishing with many, many people. There was so many people at my dad's funeral. He loved people and people loved him. My dad is my hero.

My daughter, Molly. When doctors tell me I have this huge battle to fight, I think of Molly. She became seriously ill when she was 10 years old. She never complained; she did her school work; she made all A's and kept up with friends as best she could. Through the next 10 years, she continued to cope with overwhelming medical problems. She tolerated more medical tests and blood draws than anyone I've ever known. When we moved to Abq in 2002, she started the "Read To The Dogs" at Cherry Hills library. I opened the Albuquerque Magazine last month and skimmed the happenings for the month. There was a reminder for the "Read To the Dogs" program. Molly was 12 yrs old when she helped start that program. Children from all parts of this city have gained the confidence and skills necessary to read and read well. In 2009, she was diagnosed with two rare disorders. She had brain surgery this past September. On top of recovering from brain surgery, she contracted pneumonia and a viral infection. She was so very ill. She never complained. She did what the doctors told her to do; slowly regaining her strength. She's been so strong, so brave, so courageous. She made good grades, was involved in church mission trip/activities. One time she traveled to Los Angeles to work on Skid Row with children's who lived with very little or no hope of a better life.
Molly could have looked at her life as hopeless. She never did. She amazes me. I saw her at her worst in terms of her physical health; she was never defeated, tired? yes, but kept fighting through it. You are the wind beneath my wings. Molly! You are My Hero. i love you.

I cannot forget my dear friends, Renee' Tucker and Wilma Williams. Both LIVED there lives in spite of their battles with cancer. Their love of life and family, their laughter, their strength & tenacity, their "true grit" was and remains a great inspiration. It was no accident they were part of my life. They are the ones who hold me up. They faced down the giant. They fought for Life sometimes through severe obstacles and still could come up with something funny to laugh about.

They all lived out Phillipians 4:13 - and they ALL had very bad days. They were and ARE my Inspiration. I'm so blessed to have them and MANY others like them in my life.

Tonight, another hero is battling a chronic illness that he has had since he was in his early 20s. My brother in law, Jeff Stephens. Pray for him please. God knows; please pray for him and his wife, Cathy.

To you, Mike and Ruthie. Heroes. Both caregivers. You know what you mean to me!
I realize this is very long; it was on my heart and I had to get up and write. Thank you for keeping me tucked into your heart as well.
Be a hero to someone!
Thank you Jim, for being my favorite hero of all.
God's blessings!
kathryn

6 comments:

Vickie said...

Kathryn:

I've told you "forth-leven" times that you are MY hero! Tori and I will be walking/running every step of the 5K just for you this weekend in Ardmore!

Love,
Vickie

Vickie said...

make that "forty-leven" you know that's a real number don't you? ha!

Anonymous said...

I am blessed to be your husband and Molly's Dad. You are a Cool Hero and I love. jim

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a tribute. Thanks for sharing and encouraging each of us as we face challenges in this life. Love, Peggy

Anonymous said...

You were a great help to me when I needed a friend. You are my hero too. The world is full of them if we take time to look. Love Mike

Anonymous said...

Kathryn,
You are amazing! Your blog is perfect! You are so honest and your faith fills every line. We are praying for you and you are on the on-going prayer list of our church (600 members). Take care of yourself and know your are blessing others as they see your strength. Peggy Logsdon Hudson - "your cousin"