Saturday, May 7, 2011

Saturday's Reflection from Upper Room

I WAS NEVER astutely aware of my surroundings. A “head in the clouds” kind of person, my family would say. But an encounter with cancer changed all that. As happens with most any traumatic, life-changing event, I came out of that cancer experience with a new appreciation for the people, places and things in my life—and for life itself.
In the midst of it all, when I could do little else but sit on the couch, I often prayed for the strength to get through each day. I was existing in the present, but I was hoping and praying for the future. When the chemotherapy was over, it seemed important to discern the gifts that came from that experience. Of course, the gift of healing came to mind. And after that, the gift of being able to live in the present—to take in the world around me and savor it. To live a life of gratitude.
- Lynne Deming
Alive Now, Jan.-Feb. 2011

I am not a "heads in the  cloud" person. 
I am intense; yet love to laugh and look at the world through that lens (most of the time).
I enjoy being with people; usually one on one is best - but a small crowd is good too.  Yet I need a lot of quiet time and space.
I love God and have doubts and fears.  My mighty Father has proven himself trustworthy over and over this past year and a half.  He is leading me closer to Jesus and my true self.
 The old song "None of Self, But All of Thee" is the direction He is leading me.  To be filled with his Spirit and yet to live firmly in the place I am...I'm not yet at the place.  I can fully express  I may never be at that place.  Feeling his Loving Presence is recreating me.
Trust. Hope. Resiliance. Release. Renewal. Thankful. Grace upon Grace.
I am grateful to be vertical most all of the time (daytime hours!) and to sleep well at night.
 I am working in our yard which is great.  Using my muscles is wonderful.  Tiring - yes.  And a wonder after a year of being unable to do these things.  My first geranium is planted in a large pot out front.  Beautiful.  I've never had white geraniums before.
I've quoted this often.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."   Phil 4:13. 
I am going to have another surgery in August and will post about that later.  For that is in the future.  Today! I am off to buy tomato plants and some other things for our smaller garden this year. 
Scout is playing with a piece of wood from the yard.  Coco is sound asleep, laying behind me.
Thank you for reading a long post today. 
You hearts and lives have touched me deeply.  I am filled by your grace and your love. What a great cheer leading section I have!  Wow! 
love kathryn
The proverbial lamp post shot by Jack Stephens.  Last weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post. Of course I am talking about the lamp post. Ha, Really I love to read your blog. It is uplifting for me. Wish I could write like you.
Now back to the lamp post. Do you remember? I'm leaning on the lamp post at the corner of the street. Incase a certain little lady comes by. Oh me, Oh my, incase a certain little lady comes by.
That was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the picture. Herman's Hermits. I love you Kathryn

Anonymous said...

You look WONDERFUL ... God is GREAT! Have a wonderful day. love - matthew