Monday, April 18, 2011

Looking Out My Back Door and Into My Heart As Well

One must use their imagination re: this backdoor.

Now those who know me have heard me complain like the Israelites living in the desert.
"I am not a desert person." (sigh)
"I miss the gardens and flowers on the eastern half of the country." (double sigh)
"I miss the ocean." (where all of life gains perspective -  for me)
And we all know what happened to those whining, complaining people; God struck them down.  They forgot He brought them out of slavery, He gave them their daily bread and provided water from unusual places and watched over them day and night.  This has run through my mind so often.  So...Stop that, Kathryn. And last year, I did (well, I have my moments).  I am getting better. The desert is a teacher if only there is a learner.
High winds, airborne tumbleweeds, dust in your teeth, ears and on open toes - not so much fun....but it is an adventure to see what flies past your car window. 
When we moved into this house, the former owner covered the "Hated Hill" with black plastic.  Obviously, she hoped by covering it, it would just go away.  The hill didn't go away; but the spring winds sent the plastic whipping and finally tearing into a lot of little pieces.  We were now having to face a very ugly hill. It only intensified my feelings of this desert life.  Ugly, void of life.
The desert.
                            bah humbug.
Finally we decided (after mulling over many, many options) to get some rocks (thanks to the Lee's) and add desert plants.  No cactus - but plants that require little or no water.
This 8 year season has provided a lot of time to think.  Just like the black plastic was placed on the hill to cover something ugly, I have tried to cover over aspects of my life that have come up many times.  No matter how many rocks I would set on that 'black plastic', the wind would open up a corner and I could see underneath.  I have experienced, first hand, life is about constant change, interruption, learning over and over to accept things we do not want to accept, sorrow and joy, peace and eruptions. 
 I walked outdoors this morning and saw the beauty of the once 'hated hill'.  God is working on me - perhaps I've been a hill in his hand and he's planted, waited, weeded, watered, tended to and has given me a window into how much he loves me.  I know this is long...but from this hill and the flowers that live in the rocks; the giver of Grace gives me great delight -- yes, even in this desert land.  I've found God clears out spaces on the hill in my heart, creating space to see beauty inside and out.  How is God tilling the soil in your heart today?
I hope today you will be surprised by God and you will time to thank him who makes beauty from ashes (or an ugly hill).
lovingly, kathryn

From the hill....

Phylox and other things

These spring up from the rocks (rocks are sitting on black plastic).
I have tried to plant them in the soil.
They found their proper home.  Surprise!






Some tulips are doing their best to stick around. Will add more bulbs to the hill in the fall.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, I love it.....never saw it so pretty. Love, Mom ps..loved the blog part, too.

Anonymous said...

Kathryn! It looks gorgeous! I'm gratified to know the desert is winning you over :-) -- at least a little corner of your heart. I love you! Peggy

Anonymous said...

Kathryn, I finally got around to reading your blog again. You have a wonderful way with words and thoughts. The picture of the door with the reflection is so cool. I have a few pictures like that also that I have taken. You made the hill look so nice. I need you at my house for about 6 months to help me with landscaping. I have nothing. Which means I have plenty of time to play. When you get done playing in the desert please come to Missouri. I hope to be there waiting for you guys. Love you, Mike M.