Monday, August 9, 2010

Little of This; Little of That

The weatherman said the heat is returning this week. Such are the dog days of summer. Fall is around the corner. The best time of year as far as I'm concerned. My heart always returns to New England. That is for later. I'm trying to live in the moment...anticipation of something you love is similar to a gift you know is going to arrive. I like that.
This low dose of Xeloda and I are getting along. The neuropathy is more significant, but the nausea is not - just 'waves' that are easier to cope with. My hair is falling out continually. No clumps..just those single strands. I do not believe I will go bald, I will "go thin". I too realize I'm only on week one, but I've read many good things about this drug. Some are on it for years and do quite well. I'm going to do "quite well".
I'm reading an book by Bill Bright, the founder of Campus Crusade. He knew how to live; he also knew who he lived for. He wrote this book as he was dying. He lived for Christ and died with the thrill of knowing he would live forever with God. Though this book may sound a bit on the depressing side; quite the contrary. It is not a brushing aside of what he had to endure, but He saw the purpose. To glorify God. When we are struggling with whatever comes this way; we turn to God in prayer. I most certainly have prayed for "what I need." He is my Father, He knows and knew what I needed. I am to trust. I'm learning (how very slowly), He has been working in this situation all along. He wants me to acknowledge that and praise and thank Him for the work he is always doing in my life. He writes, "Too often, we may find ourselves trying to tell God what we need. He knows! He knows!!" "My God shall supply all of your needs according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (phil. 4:19 NKJV) He went on to say, he continued to pray, his family and friends continued to pray for healing; but praying in God's will....he learned to say honestly, "my grace is sufficient". God's grace abounds! Abounds! I speak of fall coming as a gift - grace abounds - well, that tops my love of fall.
I am upright - thank you God. I have been shoveling out dark corners and cleaning our house a bit at a time. That is my exercise (vacuuming is great exercise!) I am able to get out and do a little weeding and puttering around in the yard. After my experience this summer, I learned a couple of things. I need people - you were ever present. I needed help. You were there to lift a hand. I saw God's grace over and over again. I asked from the beginning to grow through this. I still have many miles to go; God is growing me.
Thank you to all who shared their stories yesterday; heart wrenching, funny, deeply moving. Thank you for having the courage to stand before 'the many' and share your part.
Have a great Monday!
love kathryn

1 comment:

Pat Fuller said...

Kathryn - I read your blog regularly and think of you often. Your thoughts and experiences are so inspiring. Yes, God is good, God is big, and He is in control. Take care and I hope this week is a very good one for you!
Love, Pat & Anthony