Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Would This Be Beethoven's Fifth?

Treatment number 5 is now under my belt.
Pictures will follow tomorrow. I am a sweaty mess right now, would hate to scare anyone. I was freezing most of the day while receiving chemo. I had three blankets, stacking them to my neck, with a heated rice bag - everything up to my neck. Peggy was with me today (such a blessing and so good to laugh and visit...so good). She kept me well tucked in. Then comes the hot flashes....beyond anything menopausal. They are like being set on fire. Then back to cold.
Today we homemade egg salad sandwiches (thank you for preparing them Peggy), apples and cherries. And I drank a lot of water. I can do it...it's just not always fun - that over watered feeling is not always a good feeling...but I'm trying my best to get in my 2 quarts a day.
I cannot stay hydrated, so they added that to my weekly regimen. I'm thankful. I don't care for that "Twilight Zone" feeling.
We also met some new people. I am a Tuesday girl, however, it was good to meet these people and hear their stories. So many stories, people from different places around the state. We get to hear about their everyday lives and we get to listen to the long list of side effects. Every one's experience is unique to them.
People want to share...we want to be "normal" in our very abnormal state. Dr. Clark will often say, "well (whatever side effect) that is on the list". Peggy said, it must be good to be on the list. Yes, it is. For a long time all I heard was "well, you are the exception." Sometimes that's kind of fun, but not in the world of cancer. You want to be well within a norm; whatever that means.
We have dinner ready this evening. I cannot, cannot thank everyone enough for their kindness, their willingness to stand in their kitchens and prepare food for us. Everything that has come into our home has been delicious and exactly what we needed. That's God's precious care as well as your precious hands and feet, preparing food. Such a rich blessing. How beautiful are the hands that serve....
Just tired this evening, but doing well.
Jim is doing better today. He still has a sore throat and bad cough. He just wore himself out. He's been a tremendous caregiver/taker. It's time he gets some rest and take care of himself too.
Molly has been struggling with a very high pulse rate which is very tiring. Her cardiologist is working hard to help her get regulated. When she stands she says it's like she's running a marathon - only thing is, she is simply standing, not moving. I pray they find the right drug combination soon. As always, she continues to work and live her life as best as she can. Like me, she gets weary of napping. (we are the Go Girls). : )
Praise God from whom all blessings flow, praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost. Amen.
Good night to all,
With love and affection to you all, kathryn

3 comments:

joyce said...

I am so thankful and praise God for Peggy and the wonderful people who have prepared meals for you! And especially glad that Ruthie could come and enjoy time with you! You girls look FABULOUS out there in NM :) Love you! Joyce

Anonymous said...

I so appreciate your updates. I think of you often and pray for you (and Jim, and Molly) continuously. I'm looking forward to being done with school (hopefully moved by no later than Monday). If you're up to a short visit later this weekend I'd love to swing by. I'll check in with you and Jim before coming over. By the way, I love your pictures!

Deb

Anonymous said...

"A Day With Kathryn at the Cancer Center."

Kathryn arrives with her Hop Seng cart filled with crafts, books, quilts, tote bag, knitting and wine glass. (The water tastes so much better than drinking out of those plastic bottles!)

She greets all her friends (nurses, volunteers, other patients, visitors) as though gathered for a picnic.

She visits with her neighbors, welcoming the newcomers and asking if there's anything they need for their 3-day hotel stay in Albuquerque.

She brings in corn bags for the nurse who deals with cold hands and offers to make more bags for the other patients suffering from that icy-all-over condition. (She has a corn bag factory at her house!)

She brings goodies to share.

She's a light at the Cancer Center.

She's the teacher.
I'm the student.

Peggy