Wednesday, January 5, 2011

RJ

kathryn and ruthie, 2010
So guess who is coming to dinner?  Ruthie!  Our first guests and dear family friends, were here last week. 
I haven't downloaded Jeff and Lisa's photos yet.  I'll get to that this evening (I hope).  Another story of deep friendship...
This girl has been in my life since 1974.  Naturally, after months of my boss touting the incredible find she made when Ruthie applied for a job at Colonial Florist, Stillwater, OK, I hated her.  She was beautiful, smelled wonderful, wore beautiful clothing and was "so talented and going to be such an asset to our little world". 
On an August morning, high on humidity and heat, low on make up and tolerance - in walks this beautiful, gorgeous creature.  Lovely, happy, helpful, wanting to be "a part of the team".  She walked to the Xerox machine and said, Hi, I'm Ruthie Jones.  I probably snarled at her (knowing her by all of the descriptive terms we'd been hearing for months) - Hi, I'm Kathryn Parker.....Jordan.  She quickly said, well, which is it?
By noon, we were best friends.  Planning meals, eating out at cheap dives for lunch and spending every waking hour together.  On December 4th, my first husband, Arliss Jordan, took his own life.  Ruthie is the one I called to come and take me home to our apt.  She stuck with me through most of the night.  I remember my friend, Alisha, spending one night with me.  My memories are very broken - some are very strong and most are just fragments.
 Ruthie and Keith filled my days with love and friendship - though in deep shock, they were there for me...as were so many other people.  Relatives, friends, acquaintances - all holding me up and brushing me off and praying for me to be able to get myself glued back together again.  God's grace and mercy and tender loving kindness brought me through that stormy time.
Ruthie and Keith moved away in May after Keith graduated from OSU.  One day, after moving to Okla City, I was so at loose ends, feeling so lost; needing someone who knew "me then".  I called Ruthie.  We picked up right where we left off.  I spent many weekends in Snyder OK.  There was a lot of talk, a lot of laughter, some sledding on the huge interstate circle on inner tubes, a lot of working through our lives together.  We are "knit in heart"....Arliss' death brought us to a level of friendship that is indescribable.  I love her with my whole heart.  She's been through many difficult journey's as well.  God has this amazing ability to put people together.  And keep bringing them together as the years unfold. 
I love you RJ.  Can't wait for you to get here.  Sophie is patting her little feet right now.
Enjoy your day,
love kathryn

No comments: