Thursday, January 20, 2011

I Was Born Under Wandering Star.....

Jesus said
present time
is where you live your life
heart open
each moment
no past — future worry — just
loving in the now.
~Ann Freeman Price

It took a little thing like cancer to drive me right into the moment.  Now. Today. This hour, this next 30 minutes.  This minute as I drink a cup of coffee.
Those who know me very well, know the desert is not my 'cup of tea'.  I would much rather see the Atlantic or the Pacific out my rear view window. Then turning to drive for miles through large trees whose branches whisper hello as they are bent and  waving their lush branches, meandering through, coming out on the other side to find a rich, green valley, a white church, country store and some picket fences along the road. 
A few days ago, I went to a doctor's appointment on the West Mesa.  The day was as clear as glass.   The cottonwood trees that live by the river  do not drop all of their leaves in the winter.   They were this color of golden, burnt sienna (thanks for years with Crayons).  The sun gave them a brilliance that was almost as blinding to the eye as they are in the fall, as they turn that shocking shade of yellow.  The water in the Rio Grande doesn't not roar down, it doesn't necessarily run, it simply meanders in it's own sweet time - the little water that there may be. Live in the moment.
 Every "clip" that ran through my mind was a reminder of time and how we are rushing about; forgetting to remember to live 'right now'....to enjoy shriveled up leaves on winter trees, to see if there is any water charting its path downstream,  to look up and see a gaggle of crows (is that a gaggle?) rummaging through someones backyard, working for their dinner. 
Mom sent me the family photos.  Talk about taking a slow stroll through the past.  This kind of strolling is good for your soul.  You think of those who have left such a mark on your life.  Those you do not know, but you know someone did and they left an impression on my parents lives.  I made up a small box of Leah's pictures, as I am doing for the rest of my siblings, nieces and nephews.  It was great fun to remember them as babies and toddlers.  Memories are fun to pull out of an old photo album.  However, to live there; to want to go back to the past is impossible and not good.  We remember those things of the past, but we move into today and find reasons for joy, time to praise God for this new day, for good times.  To look around our homes and thank God for all we have 'right here, right now'.  O! this has been a lesson for me like no other lesson that has come my way.  To learn to be content.  In those areas of life that are less than satisfactory; to accept that God is walking with me in his time.  Sometimes I'm slow and he never runs ahead.  He just keeps time.  I think Johnny Cash wrote a song on "rhythm"...faded memory (if I'm wrong, correct me).  I think today is a day of listening and experiencing the rhythm of living. 
God bless and keep my friends, Lisa, Jeff, Lori and Johnny, fiance' to Lori, caregiver and dear friend of the Sanders' family.  Mr. Sanders graduated from this life this week.  Our hearts and thoughts are with them continually.
Now to be a little Robin Williams:  Carpe Diem!!!
love you kathryn

No comments: