Tuesday, June 14, 2011

These Eyes...

Old photo.  But I am looking at you...without my glasses.  I've not worn my glasses much this year.  The obvious reason;  I was sick.  The other reason was not so obvious.  I knew I was not seeing well - with or without glasses.
  I went in for my annual eye exam to learn my eyes were not working well.  This was not news to me.  After a long and thorough exam, my eye doctor told me the reason I was not seeing well, with or without glasses.
Cataracts in both eyes.
You who are a bit more seasoned in years than I am, may think me silly.  To friends my age, hearing you have cataracts might strike you as it did me.  "I thought cataracts appeared much later in life - like when you are old!" I am a baby boomer.  My generation refuses to grow old or even older. 
I realize this is a simple surgery, taking longer to prepare for than to actually "be under the knife".  But it's another surgery.  I just wasn't thinking about cataracts or surgery as I sat in the optometrists chair. 
I have to meet with the opthamologist the end of June. He will determine how soon I need to have this done.
I am glad to learn that I was not going blind.  I have squinted, dealt with extra teary eyes (yes, I know about dry eyes "at my age"), checked out books with large print etc.  All in all, this is not bad news.  Like all of life's little unknowns, this is just one more.  I'll take cataracts over a lot of things. 
Jim returned to work today.  He will work p/t.  We hope to hear from Barrow Institute by next week.  Praying Jim will be accepted as a patient and someone will be able to find out what is creating his symptoms.
The zinnias are popping up a bit each day.  I am seeing some little green tomatoes as well.  The eggplants are doing better along with the jalapeno plant.  The herbs love growing in the front planter - we've already enjoyed basil and others.
"I stuck my head out the window this morning and spring kissed me bang! in the face.  ....langston hughes
Though spring is almost over, it was a lovely spring morning.  I hope it was at your house as well.
Love Kathryn 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear Jim is able to return to work even if it's part time. We are continuing to pray for you, Jim, and Molly. You guys have certainly had your share of challenges and remain inspirations to all of us.

Love to you all,
Bob Barden

Anonymous said...

Did I know you have cataracts? I must have been napping. btw, David recently found out he has a cataract in his right (left?) eye. So you guys can ruminate together :-).

Love you!
Peggy

Anonymous said...

Steve has also been diagnosed this month with cataracts in both eyes! He has to go back in a couple of months to discuss the surgery.

It is good to hear that Jim is feeling up to going back to work part time. You are both constantly in my prayers.
I hope you are having a relaxing weekend.
Love,
Debbie