Thursday, November 18, 2010

Marshall's and Moments of Grace

After the last doctor's appointment, I got into the car.  Sat there a moment, took a deep breath and looked across the Sandia Mountains; another gorgeous fall day.  Sometimes just a moment to breathe in and out,  look up with a thankfulness for this day, gives me a boost of energy. So with that little shot of energy,  I went into Marshall's.  I've been looking for a coat...not a heavy coat, not a puffy coat, not a car coat, just a short coat; minus the weight. I do not want a coat that makes me feel I'm carrying the weight of the world...just a coat to block the winds. Struck out on that mission.  I love to wander through the food aisle.  While enjoying looking at all of the jars and boxes,  I overheard a couple swapping the name of jams and jellies. He looked at me and said wouldn't it be great if there was a tasting table?  Yes! Cream cheese, crackers and an assortment of jams? Yes, let's do that! He started telling me his very eventful past couple of weeks.  About 2 weeks ago,  he had an MRI.  Lower back pain. He called for the results.  The would look for them and call him back.  The office called back and told him what was wrong with his back.....however, the bigger issue was an aneurysm in a vein in his upper leg - it was dangerous and it was leaking. Off to the vascular surgeon's office.  After a Doppler test - yes, there was an aneurysm and he had to go to surgery immediately.  He's now put back together with Gortex.  I said, WOW, you look great!  Look at you, you look wonderful. Wow! He said God is so good...I'm here.  I said I know, I have cancer. He and his wife looked at me with disbelief.  YOU look SO GOOD.  While we were sharing the "wow's" and sharing our thanksgiving to God, I noticed a woman standing looking at the tea...only she wasn't looking for tea, she was eavesdropping. 
I know you would really have to be there to enjoy the moment of God's grace in the food aisle at Marshall's - but I wanted you to hear it.  To remind you how these accidental meetings are actually rare gifts - gifts of grace -  from strangers, meetings in the oddest of places.  I hope you will recall these stories in your own life and smile - God loves you and includes you in stories.  Stories you have no idea others are sharing about YOU!
"Oh, how I love all you've revealed;
I reverently ponder it all the day long."
from Psalms 119
The Message

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Friends,

Just spent a few minutes reading the Blog … great stuff – thanks. It has been a couples of weeks so I went back a bit just to get into the spirit of things … like re-reading a chapter over when it’s been a few days away from a good book. Kinda gets you ready for the new stuff. Must say my heart and spirit were lifted … there was just so much thanksgiving and appreciation for known blessing without the demand / expectation for more. Living in the greatest nation in the world has spoiled us so … our bad days are better than most and our good days are unimaginable by the majority.
I am humbled by the blessing of this life … 30 years with the best of partners … 4 healthy beautiful children who are pushing the envelope and finding their own way. Opportunities and challenges that have provided both a living and a life. But the best of it is the feeling that the best day(s) will be tomorrow … not for achievement, but just the chance to try some more and carry forward all this good stuff into an unknown future.

Your thoughts and your passion for embracing your blessings give me a better perspective for appreciating my own. I hope that you, Jim and Molly have a great Thanksgiving week! Keeping blogging!

Love you both - matthew

Unknown said...

I love the post about Marshall's! So many things happen that SEEM random; but so often, I think it's God's plan. Trying to keep my eyes and heart open to see the God things every day. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend!
Love, Salli