Saturday, March 12, 2011

No Bag of Bones Here

We are much more than a "bag of bones".   I just posted a few photographs that shows two different bodies.  My family body.  We are all created by God, entering our family by blood, sweat and tears - from our mother's body.  Some stay with their original family, others are adopted into a new family.  Jim and I also live our lives as part of the body of believers in Jesus Christ.  We too live, breathe and try to take care of that body as well.
Our physical body that is constructed of blood, veins, organs, skin etc.  We share a genetic bond with people we do not even know.  Our DNA was spun hundred and hundreds of years ago - providing each one of us a unique and fascinating body. 
My acupuncturist was talking about the strength of my body.  She began working with me last spring.  She has a special gift of listening - not only to my words, but to my body.  She has an instinct for hearing what is hurting and where to place her needles to achieve the greatest good.  When you are being assaulted by poison, her work on me was tender and consistent - never pushing beyond what I could take physically. 
I saw her this past week.  She has always been very vocal about how strong my body is- in spite of the chemicals I was taking.  She spoke from the first day of the 'great strength' I had. I thought instantly of Philippians 4:13.  "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  I spoke those words, prayed those words - believing to my core that those simple words hold great promise and power. Words to be trusted.
Last summer I became very ill.  Due to enzymes built into my DNA, I not only had every side effect of the drugs I was taking, my body was "allergic" to chemo -  taking me on a journey close to the edge.  Even though I traveled close to edge of this life and even though my body became very weak; I survived.  Many prayed for strength and for the recovery of my physical body.  We are fearfully and wonderfully made - this body of ours is incredible; remaining a mystery to doctors and researchers even to this day.
My acupuncturist came to my hospital room.  She not only set her needles, but sat with me, telling me again how very strong I was.  She commented over and over how rare it was to be 'this sick' yet be so very strong.
I am grateful for the level of strength and wellness I was given and am still receiving.  I sat with many strong people.  They walked into the cancer center on their own two feet -  spoke words of encouragement and shared in the laughter.  Though I am a witness to their strong bodies and their inner strength, the disease was either too widespread or moving too quickly, they did not survive. But I am a witness to their strength and drew deeply from their "true grit". 
We recently visited with  a friend who had two different forms of cancer - he went through a great deal of suffering with his surgery and deal with pain at this time.  He would also agree his strength came through Jesus Christ.
My acupuncturist asked me to write about the power we have to heal.  I can speak of that inherent gift - for we are created to live and be strong.  However, I believe that power is deeper than our physical bodies and human minds can mandate.
To those who have recently lost loved ones and dear friends, you may believe differently.  You are hurting and looking for answers.  Our human bodies are not made to live forever. And though that may not be at all comforting to those hurting, God said He knows the number of our days.
Reading Dr. Groopman's books he speaks vividly about the human body and the strength of the human spirit  - even when pushed to limits we do not want to imagine, we can survive and 'live again'. 
Speaking of bodies - I have a "spot" on my spine and sternum.  I've had deep bone and joint pain - which may just be arthritis and the effects of chemo (which is also powerful and can create some havoc even after the treatments are in the past).  I have a "spot" on my skull.  I've had two xrays on my skull and both times the report states it is the same size and may be venous lakes.  I have to return to the imaging center for another mammogram and ultrasound. To date all tests have been negative.  I like negative test results. I'm optimistic the upcoming xray of my skull, MRI of my sternum and back, mammogram/ultrasound & bone scan will be cancer free.
The joy of the Lord is my strength.  
Thank You God for our physical bodies, for strength for our days - even when your body fails to live up to your expectations - we have been given an incredible gift.
Have a great week,
love kathryn

No comments: